§ We came to this world to LIVE OUT LOUD.
Always Put Your Own Oxygen Mask on First
Are you totally overwhelmed with stuff to do after the holidays?
Or just plain too busy again?
I came back from an amazing month in Australia and visiting family in California to:
– No gas in our apartment so no cooking or hot water.
– A leak in the ceiling and the subsequent need to have workers open up our
concrete ceiling and the mess that was generated.
– Tons of work in my business as I kick off the new year (very exciting stuff
– My middle daughter starting a new school (which meant a half day to sign
her up, get a uniform, new school supplies).
Two adorable new kittens (who are getting into everything and are pretty much like having 2 new babies).
– My 8-year old at home because school doesn’t start for 2 more weeks (!!!).
– Unpacking, laundry, groceries, household stuff!
– My husband leaving on a business trip the day after we got home.
Add to that jet lag and my perimenopausalhormonal fluctuations with symptoms that keep me up all night and I was quickly in stress mode and anxiety.
My natural response to stress mode and anxiety is to do, do, do more so I can stay on top of everything.
This quickly leads to major overwhelm.
So this time, I did something that doesn’t come quite as naturally to me.
I rescheduled everything that was not 100% essential for a couple of days.
Client and work appointments. Unpacking the suitcases. Phone calls to family and friends. I called a friend who I had invited over for a bbq with her family and suggested that we meet at a restaurant.
I started to feel like I could breathe again.
Then I scheduled a session with my healer, a massage and made sure to meditate every day.
I started to feel like all was well in my world. I would get everything done once I got to it. Taking care of me was a priority. All the non-essential stuff could wait.
I relearned the lesson I have been learning my entire life as a mom, ALWAYS PUT ON YOUR OXYGEN MASK FIRST.
What about you? How do you cope with overwhelm and a huge to-do list? Do you put your oxygen mask on first? If not, what would your life be like if you did?
I would love to hear from you and create more community so leave a comment below or reach out to me by email at email@example.com.